The Tawk To Me series is now exploring a deeper conversation that I feel is overlooked in the dating and relationship space, mental health. Mental health encompasses our emotional, psychological and social well being. It impacts how we make choices, handle stress and also how we relate to others. There are a number of factors that contribute to mental health, such as:
- Biological factors, such as genes or brain chemistry
- Life experiences, such as trauma or abuse
- Family history of mental health problems
The next few episodes will be dedicated to this topic. Interviews with survivors, professionals and more will help create a safe space for viewers to have a better understanding of what they may be dealing with or what a loved one might be suffering through.
In this episode, Author, Speaker and Mompreneur, Danielle Butler shares her journey of depression and anxiety that began at an early age. Her story explores how she navigated (and conquered) her illness despite the stigma that surrounds this topic. From childhood, to marriage, to parenthood, Danielle reveals why taking initiative and seeking support is imperative to mental and physical healing.
If you or someone you know needs help taking the first step in getting help, Danielle recommends a few ways to do just that:
- Acknowledge and be honest about where you are
- Have a village
- Seek and accept outside help as necessary. Also know that therapy is good for the soul, not just for “troubled” people
- Know your “triggers” and practice self-care (Triggers is explained in the video)
- Own your worthiness of being both flawed and happy which means it’s okay to share your story to support someone else in their journey